Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Angels in the Medical Field...Cancer

There is so much to be said in honor of the medical persons who accompanied my son during his cancer journey this past year. The love that the staff bestowed upon Sir delivered me well beyond a state of gratefulness.

I can not really think of any words in the English language to express the feelings that I experienced each time I witnessed the genuine care and concern that Sir was showered with during his journey.


I'm beginning to see that the topic of gratefulness appears to be a core theme in my writings about this experience with cancer. And, although I'd like to think that I have viewed the world from a relatively positive viewpoint, this cancer journey has been an humbling, humbling experience.


Sir had already attended several chemotherapy/radiation treatments by the time I was able to accompany him to any appointments. My delay in being able to be by his side was because my work schedule had already been preset months in advance. However, during our evening walks, he would share with me how everyone at the medical facilities was really "cool!"

I think that during the first round of chemoradiation, Sir was, essentially, in shock not only about the diagnosis of the Big "C" but also about the fact that everyone showed him much love from the outset.

During one of our walks, he explained to me that part of the difficulty he had during those first few weeks adjusting to the news of the diagnosis was the act that he had gone all of his life without really having to experience hospitals and being sick. So it was a shock for him to then be relegated to the point of having to go the hospital e-v-e-r-y single day! However, Sir further spoke about the fact that he also just wasn't used to everyone being so kind to him!

By the time I was able to accompany Sir to his appointments, I remember the emotions that welled up inside me. I wanted to cry when I saw the pure love showered upon him by soooooo many people. I would say that it was certainly what they call a "deep" experience to meet individuals who had found the purpose and love for serving those inflicted with this dis-ease.

Towards the end of Sir's chemotherapy treatments, his body was weak as well as his spirit. The staff in the Oncology Department became the team to cheer him on. They were the true picture of the "Relay For Life!"

I could call the roll of those who accompanied him on this journey, but suffice it to say that the angels know their names. I attribute their love to his complete healing.

pEaCe and blesSings to angels :}

No comments: