Saturday, September 29, 2007

She's Gone On - But Her Prayers Remain Behind

On September 30, 2006, Gwen left the following message of prayer and hope for my son on the imonchemo website:

"...I speak God's Peace and Blessings that surpasses all understanding into your life and I will continue to pray that He's Love rain down on you. You are awesome my brother. God is Love and you know you are too, He's angels are all around you as you can see (Ester, Mother Banks, Mother Evans, Lu and so many more. Peace and Blessings to you."

At the time of leaving that message Gwen hadn't an inkling that her body too was ridden with cancer. Less than 10 weeks after leaving that message, Gwen was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, and after a gallant fight she crossed over on April 30, 2007.

So I' sure you can imagine that as this September 30, 2007 descends upon me, my thoughts are turned to Gwen. Her message and prayers are as precious today as they were the day she left them on the website. The messages from friends, family and strangers (near and far) always uplifted Sir's spirits -- which I believe helped him to get through his cancer treatment.

Each of us knows not our destiny from day to day, however, our prayers for another will long out last our time here on earth.

A couple of days ago, I blogged about Channdra being a "Brave Heart" in the sharing of her cancer journey. My request to the Lord was for Channdra to have more good days than bad during the course of her chemo therapy treatment. Over the last few days, since praying for Channdra daily, I have reflected on the fact that my life is forever changed because of Sir's diagnosis last summer.

If not for the creation and development of the imonchemo website, I would never have been presented with the opportunity and honor of praying for her. Being able to pray for another human being is an unexpected blessing. At first thought, it would appear that my special petition on behalf of Channdra would benefit only Channdra. However, the day after writing that blog, the realization arose through the crevasses of my thoughts that my life is enriched through my act of praying for her. The offering up of my words and emotions on Channdra's behalf left me with a sense of purpose and a sense of hope for another individual's well-being.

It's so easy to go through our daily lives focussing on the mundane tasks at hand without even giving consideration for the unexpected blessings with which we have been presented. There is so much that can get us down on a daily basis, but to be able to take a moment during the day and think of another who is facing chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, infusion, or any other medical treatment is an unexpected blessing for me.

But of utmost importance for me, personally, is to be able to pray for another in honor of another (such as Gwen) who has prayed for me and mine.


pEace and bLesSings to the pRaYer waRriors...

No comments: