Saturday, October 20, 2007

THE HAPPIEST BIRTHDAY

The 21st of October is marked as one of THE most blessed days of my life because that was the day that my baby joined me for our travels here on earth. And, on this October 21st I am ever so grateful to be able to sing "Happy Birthday" to Sir Drafton for all of the obvious reasons, i.e., because we are both still here to fully experience each other, our family, friends, and even indivdiuals who would normally be classified as "strangers" but are our friends in the midst of our recent travels.

I'd like to think that every mother and child has a bond as strong as the one that I've been blessed to have with my son. But the reality is that there are some parent-child relationships that suffer under a seemingly never ending strain from the beginning to end. I've personally witnessed those relationships that never seem to get on track no matter how hard one or the other tries to make things right, make things comfortable, cheerful, or just plain pleasant with the other.

But it has been different with me and Sir -- the love between us has always seem to flow like a river that has no debris blocking it's channels. The afternoon of his first October 21st, , i.e., when Sir entered the world, it was just he and I in the room -- not another soul was present.

I can almost remember it as if it happened just the other day. I was only 19 years old and didn't know a thing about having a baby -- and there I was all alone. But I think the labor pains were so intense that the bejeebers was scared out of me, as the saying goes. But once I realized that he was really going to make his grand entrance, and not wait for me to get to the hospital, the mother instincts in me kicked in. I scurried (well, maybe hurried) and gathered a sheet and towels and placed them on the floor of the hall (just at the entrance of the living room).

When I first held him in my arms that is when I realized the true preciousness of life. I was only a child myself really, at 19 years of age, but I recall being filled with the wonderment of another life coming from my body. At that exact moment, I had a complete knowing that I was bestowed with the awesome responsibility of caring for another human being.

Sir and I have been on a journey that I shall never regret nor exchange for any other journey that I could have embarked upon even if I so desired.

So this message is to my baby:

Sir Drafton, I want you to know that you have been a complete joy to me through ALL times: Security Street, Dalton Court, Apt. 84, Brentwood, Radcliff, Shirley Drive, 735, Oddstad, Lori, 735 again, and 1053 (lmao) :}

Some would say that you were born against all odds: teenage African American Mother, being raised in single parent home, having an absent father, and just being born an African American manchild. But I would say that you were born of complete love, and here you are today, a young black man of whom I am more than proud! I wouldn't hesitate to point you out in a crowd of a thousand and tell the world "That's My B-a-b-y"!

God has blessed us with another year, another day, another moment to continue sharing our lives. I need not say that I am forever grateful and receive it all. Peace and blessings, Sir.

I LOVE YOU MAN!!!

Miss Mo'

No comments: