Thursday, September 6, 2007

Sticky Icky Icky & Cancer

One can never really having an understanding of cancer unless you have an upclose and personal experience with -- and I don't wish that upon anyone on this earth. You can only understand it if you have walked that journey as the individual who was diagnosed or you have walked along side someone who is on that journey" you know, you lock arms and walk side by side, stride for stride. There's been a long standing debate about whether marijuana should be legalized for medical purposes -- especially in relationship to those dignosed with cancer.

My son speaks in Video Clip No. 4, December 2006 (www.imonchemo.com) about his experience in relationship to this issue:

"And coming out of this experience, this whole experience and adventure that I’m on at this point -- dealing with the pain and sickness that I’ve gone thru....the medicine that they have given me for pain hasn’t really worked for me that much. I can say, the thing that has helped me is the natural pain reliever: cannibu sativa, marijuana – that sticky icky icky (laugh). But yeah, I can say it did and it helps me out completely – physically and mentally. because what they prescribed me: percocet, vicodin, the morphine -- it doesn’t do anything for me really. So it’s all supposed to be drugs and medicine anyway -- so why not do something natural instead of having something man made that you don’t know what it's going to do to you. That’s what I did get out of this experience: the best stuff out is that stuff that grows in the garden – in the dirt -- the herb and the plant..."

I love it when he ends his videoblog on a positive note: "it’s a nice day, and I'm feeling all right...I love life!"

It's one thing for him to testify to the fact that it was the only medicine really helped him was that "sticky, icky, icky" but it's another thing to witness it first hand. The doctors prescribed many different drugs to help him with the nauseau and pain but it just didn't seem to work like the natural medicine as he says. Not only did the sticky! icky! icky! help with the nauseau but there there times that it seemed to help with the high anxiety moments. For example, during the early days of Sir's diagnosis, there was a surgeon that determined that Sir's surgery was going to require him to wear a stoma bag for the rest of his life. For those unfamilar, a stoma is an opening made on the abdominal wall used to divert waste products from the normal
passages out into a bag. Sir being just 31 years of age at the time of his diagnosis just couldn't even fathom having to deal with having a stoma bag until the 12th of never.

Sir had already had one appointment with a surgeon who seemed really positive about the removal of the tumor. That surgeon even suggested that there was a possibility of laproscopic surgery -- which would have been quite unobtrusive. So when he went to the next appointment which included the opinion of an additionaly surgeon, I was not able to attend that appointment with Sir. So when Sir was hit with the news of a possibility of the stoma bag for rest of his life entire being was shook once again. When he called me that afternoon, it sounded liked he had received the news of his cancer diagnosis all over again. He was crying uncontrollably; I couldn't understand a word that he was saying initially. He was really "F" "Wording" -- in between his sobs. Of course, there was nothing that I could say to console him because I too was in complete shock. Before I could even say too much to try to make things better for Sir, I heard him say in between sobs, "I'm going home to smoke!"

As a child, I remember the old folks had a saying that I didn't understand because I was a child: "Live long enough!" Of course I didn't understand it because I hadn't "Lived long enough." Oh, but wht a difference a day makes. I've certainly "Lived long enough!" to now grasp the complete meaning of that phrase. Who would have thought that a day would come when as a mother I would be grateful for the Sticky! Icky! Icky! I looked-up the meaning of the Sticky in the Urban Dictionary and found the following definition:

Word used by Snoop Dogg to mean highly potent, sticky green buds: "Can I get sum of that 'sticky! icky! icky!?'"

When I arrived home, there was Sir lying in bed -- quite mellowed out. And, all I could do is give thanks for the cannibus sativa.

pEace and bLesSINGS to Snoop Dogg

No comments: